Enrollment opens December 14 at 8 am
George Washington Carver
Dual Language School
Pre-Kindergarten* thru 6th Grade
Michael Coulter, Principal
4600 Elmwood Ave.
Kansas City, Missouri 64130
9:15 am – 4:15 pm
*Carver Dual Language School has partnered with Emmanuel Family & Child Development Center to offer free Pre-K seats
Fostering bilingual and biliterate students in a culture of academic excellence.
At George Washington Carver Dual Language, all students are expected to be truly bilingual and biliterate in Spanish and English, by the time they complete sixth grade. Research shows that students who attend dual language schools generally have higher overall academic performance than students who attend monolingual schools.
Students with dual language skills are more in demand in the workforce and generally earn higher incomes in their professions. The Dual language model is an effective way for students to quickly learn a second language.
Building a Foundation for Success
At Carver, students start learning Spanish on their first day of kindergarten. During kindergarten and first grades, students are immersed in Spanish throughout the course of the school day. In second grade, curriculum introduces English Language Arts standards while other classes, such as math and science, continue in Spanish.
Using the dual language model, Carver students become effectively immersed within the Spanish Throughout the course of their academic career at Carver, students will become immersed in learning Spanish in an effective format.
Opportunity for All
There are no language requirements to enroll in kindergarten or first grade. However, because instruction throughout the regular day is often provided in Spanish, students enrolling in second grade are required to take a Spanish literacy test before acceptance.
Native Spanish speaking students are welcome at Carver. Students are not required to speak fluent English to enroll. If a student in an upper grade lack specific English skills, we will provide additional services in order to help those students be successful at Carver.
Carver activities include:
- After School Tutoring
- Chess Club
- Dual Language Immersion
- English Language Learners Program
- Girls on the Run
- National Junior Honor Society
- Parent Involvement Committee
- Student Council
After the first grade, students must demonstrate language proficiency to enter this program.
Required documents to enroll in Kindergarten – 12th Grade:
(Kindergarten must be 5 years old by August 31)
- Birth Certificate
- Student's current immunization record
- Parent/guardian photo ID (Proof of guardianship, if required)
- Previous school records – transcript, behavior, attendance (grades 1st – 6th)
- Two proofs of residency (See “Acceptable Proofs of Residency” list below)
- One from each column
ACCEPTABLE PROOFS OF RESIDENCY
(one from each column)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #1
- Valid Property Deed
- Current Real Estate Tax Receipt
- Mortgage Statement/Bill
- Signed Residential Lease Agreement
- Residency Affidavit – Must be notarized (find at kcpublicschools.org or Office of Admissions 2901 Troost)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #2
- Current utility bill: electric, water or gas. (Disconnect or shutoff notices will not be accepted. Bills must be within the last 30 days)
- Personal Property Tax Receipt (Past year)
- Homeowner’s/Rental Insurance Policy (Current year)
- Social Services, Social Security Statement, or Other Legal/Court Documents
- Pay stub/Pay check (within 30 days)
- Bank statement (within 30 days)