Enrollment opens December 14 at 8 am
Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary
Kindergarten thru 6th Grade
Dana Abrams, Principal
4848 Woodland Ave
Kansas City, Missouri 64110
8:20 am – 3:20 pm
Engaging the whole family.
At Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary School, we love our students! Our teachers, administrators and staff strive to provide the best culture and environment each day for every student and his/her parents.
Teachers work to engage students and offer support to parents by sharing about how to encourage their child’s school career. Parents are invited to participate whenever possible – volunteer, help within the classroom, join on field trips, eat lunch with their child, work on class projects, etc. In turn, King staff build long-term bonds with students over the years, and parents trust the staff. As a trauma-sensitive school, our ultimate goal is that all students feel safe, welcome and supported.
Encouraging the path to college.
From mentoring, sports to field trips and more, at King, we offer a variety of programs and services to best serve our students and help make learning fun! Our partner, Lead to Read organizes business associates and community volunteers to provide a one-on-one reader every Tuesday and Thursday of the school year for kindergarten through third grade students each week.
Starting in fourth grade, King students start exploring college pathways. The College for Every Student School program, from University of Missouri - Kansas City, works with students and guidance counselors to share about the road to college. Plus, King students are exposed to the arts through programs through KC Ballet and Friends of Alvin Ailey.
Activities & programs include:
- Free Before & After School Care
- Mentoring Programs
- Junior Achievement
- Boy Scouts
- Girl Scouts
- Friends of Alvin Ailey Program
- Huddle Up School
- College for Every Student School
Required documents to enroll in Kindergarten – 12th Grade:
(Kindergarten must be 5 years old by August 31)
- Birth Certificate
- Student's current immunization record
- Parent/guardian photo ID (Proof of guardianship, if required)
- Previous school records – transcript, behavior, attendance (grades 1st – 6th)
- Two proofs of residency (See “Acceptable Proofs of Residency” list below)
- One from each column
ACCEPTABLE PROOFS OF RESIDENCY
(one from each column)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #1
- Valid Property Deed
- Current Real Estate Tax Receipt
- Mortgage Statement/Bill
- Signed Residential Lease Agreement
- Residency Affidavit – Must be notarized (find at kcpublicschools.org or Office of Admissions 2901 Troost)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #2
- Current utility bill: electric, water or gas. (Disconnect or shutoff notices will not be accepted. Bills must be within the last 30 days)
- Personal Property Tax Receipt (Past year)
- Homeowner’s/Rental Insurance Policy (Current year)
- Social Services, Social Security Statement, or Other Legal/Court Documents
- Pay stub/Pay check (within 30 days)
- Bank statement (within 30 days)