Enrollment opens December 14 at 8 am
Foreign Language Academy
Kindergarten thru 8th Grade
Joell Ramsdell, Principal
3450 Warwick Blvd.
Kansas City, Missouri 64111
9:15 am – 4:15 pm
An International Baccalaureate Primary Years school delivering a world-class educational experience and developing creative, globally aware leaders.
Foreign Language Academy (FLA) is currently the only program in the metro to offer Spanish and Mandarin Chinese immersion. As a family-based school, FLA offers a variety of programs, sports and activities to our students.
With an internationally diverse staff, FLA students excel beyond traditional urban limits to experience exceptional learning and academic success.
What is Language Immersion?
Immersion education is a method of instruction where the regular school curriculum is taught in the target language (Spanish or Mandarin Chinese). The foreign language is the vehicle for instruction; it is not the subject of instruction.
Beginning in kindergarten, teachers and students communicate in the target foreign language. It quickly becomes second nature. Students become both bilingual and bi-literate in both English and their target foreign language.
FLA is the only authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme school in the region and the only official IB Middle Years Programme candidate school in the metropolitan area. The goal of the IB Programme, along with the Leader in Me program, is to go beyond just teaching to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who are motivated to become tomorrow’s leaders.”
FLA students are encouraged to:
- Think independently and drive their own learning
- Ask challenging questions and think critically
- Develop critical research skills
- Become accountable for their actions and educational success
FLA's activities include:
- Authorized International Baccalaureate Primary Years school
- International Baccalaureate Middle Years Candidate school
- Cross Country
- First Lego League Robotics Team
- National Junior Honor Society
- Chess Club
- Composting/Recycling Initiative
- Free Before & After School Care
- FLA PTO
- Spanish & Mandarin Chinese Immersion
After the first grade, students must demonstrate language proficiency to enter this program.
Required documents to enroll in Kindergarten – 12th Grade:
(Kindergarten must be 5 years old by August 31)
- Birth Certificate
- Student's current immunization record
- Parent/guardian photo ID (Proof of guardianship, if required)
- Previous school records – transcript, behavior, attendance (grades 1st – 6th)
- Two proofs of residency (See “Acceptable Proofs of Residency” list below)
- One from each column
ACCEPTABLE PROOFS OF RESIDENCY
(one from each column)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #1
- Valid Property Deed
- Current Real Estate Tax Receipt
- Mortgage Statement/Bill
- Signed Residential Lease Agreement
- Residency Affidavit – Must be notarized (find at kcpublicschools.org or Office of Admissions 2901 Troost)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #2
- Current utility bill: electric, water or gas. (Disconnect or shutoff notices will not be accepted. Bills must be within the last 30 days)
- Personal Property Tax Receipt (Past year)
- Homeowner’s/Rental Insurance Policy (Current year)
- Social Services, Social Security Statement, or Other Legal/Court Documents
- Pay stub/Pay check (within 30 days)
- Bank statement (within 30 days)