George Melcher Elementary
Kindergarten thru 6th Grade
Dr. Patricia Hayes, Principal
3958 Chelsea Ave.
Kansas City, Missouri 64130
Developing strong academic, health and wellness for every student.
At George Melcher Elementary School, our focus is the total child. We are committed to providing a quality education to all students by incorporating programs designed to improve academics as well as strengthen the physical and emotional well-being of every student.
At Melcher, we believe initiating successful health and wellness programs within our school culture is crucial to providing the best possible education for our students. We understand there are times when students face external stress outside the classroom affecting their ability to focus on academics. Each classroom has its own “safe place” where a student is allowed to decompress before they focus again on classwork. This allows teachers and faculty the ability to focus students for greater success.
Encouraging the path to college.
Along with emotional health, physical health is a central focus for our students at Melcher. We offer free exercise classes open to both parents and students promoting cardiovascular health in a fun and safe environment.
Each week, dance and cheerleading classes are available to Melcher students. Working with UMKC’s LINK program, students also have access to cooking activities, sports labs, personal goal planning, and overall healthy eating classes. Throughout the school year, students also receive complimentary health benefits, including eye exams and dental care.
Activities & programs include:
- Free Before- & After-School Care
- National Elementary Honor Society
- Attendance, Behavior, Academics Assembly & Dance
- Kids-In-Motion Dance & Cheer Classes
- Student Council
- Boy Scouts & Girl Scouts
- Girls on the Run
- Young Audience Arts Performances
- Derrick Johnson’s Dream Foundation Library – DJ’s Den
- Community Gardens
Required Application Documents
Required documents to enroll in Kindergarten – 12th Grade:
(Kindergarten must be 5 years old by September 1, 2018)
- Birth Certificate
- Student's current immunization record
- Parent/guardian photo ID (Proof of guardianship, if required)
- Previous school records – transcript, behavior, attendance (grades 1st – 6th)
- Two proofs of residency (See “Acceptable Proofs of Residency” list below)
- One from each column
ACCEPTABLE PROOFS OF RESIDENCY
(one from each column)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #1
- Valid Property Deed
- Current Real Estate Tax Receipt
- Mortgage Statement/Bill
- Signed Residential Lease Agreement
- Residency Affidavit – Must be notarized (find at kcpublicschools.org or Office of Admissions 2901 Troost)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #2
- Current utility bill: electric, water or gas. (Disconnect or shutoff notices will not be accepted. Bills must be within the last 30 days)
- Personal Property Tax Receipt (Past year)
- Homeowner’s/Rental Insurance Policy (Current year)
- Social Services, Social Security Statement, or Other Legal/Court Documents
- Pay stub/Pay check (within 30 days)
- Bank statement (within 30 days)