Enrollment opens December 14 at 8 am
Kindergarten thru 6th Grade
Phillena Layne, Principal
1012 Bales Ave.
Kansas City, Missouri 64127
8:20 am – 3:20 pm
Developing the whole student.
Whittier Elementary School has a diverse student population that features many languages and cultures. In addition to the core curriculum, the students also receive instruction in art, music, physical education, technology and library science.
Whittier students take a variety of field trips to experience activities and sites that are available in our community, including the Nelson Art Gallery, Anita B. Gorman Conservation Discovery Center, the Kansas City Zoo, the Federal Reserve Bank, Hallmark’s Kaleidoscope, and other trips sponsored by the Kansas City Arts Partners.
At Whittier, we educate a diverse group of students who speak many different languages. The English as a Second Language program is designed to teach students who speak languages other than English how to understand, speak, read and write in English and to support students’ home cultures and languages whenever possible.
Promoting student health.
Whittier has several health programs in place to help the students identify and treat any health concerns. Score One is provided by the Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences and provides physical assessments of each child with their parents’ permission. Big Smiles also is provided to our students to assess their dental needs.
Activities & programs include:
- Free Before & After School Care
- National Elementary Honor Society
- Student Council
- English Language Learners
- Junior Achievement
- One-to-one digital devices
- School Garden
- Score 1 for Health
- Girl and Boy Scouts
Required documents to enroll in Kindergarten – 12th Grade:
(Kindergarten must be 5 years old by August 31)
- Birth Certificate
- Student's current immunization record
- Parent/guardian photo ID (Proof of guardianship, if required)
- Previous school records – transcript, behavior, attendance (grades 1st – 6th)
- Two proofs of residency (See “Acceptable Proofs of Residency” list below)
- One from each column
ACCEPTABLE PROOFS OF RESIDENCY
(one from each column)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #1
- Valid Property Deed
- Current Real Estate Tax Receipt
- Mortgage Statement/Bill
- Signed Residential Lease Agreement
- Residency Affidavit – Must be notarized (find at kcpublicschools.org or Office of Admissions 2901 Troost)
PROOF OF RESIDENCE #2
- Current utility bill: electric, water or gas. (Disconnect or shutoff notices will not be accepted. Bills must be within the last 30 days)
- Personal Property Tax Receipt (Past year)
- Homeowner’s/Rental Insurance Policy (Current year)
- Social Services, Social Security Statement, or Other Legal/Court Documents
- Pay stub/Pay check (within 30 days)
- Bank statement (within 30 days)